14 poisonous and dangerous plants for cats
Suppose it is rare that the cat nibbles on anything other than its usual food; it can, on the other hand, quite often be interested in your plants to play out of boredom or purge itself. Indeed, cats need to chew grass, in particular, to regulate their digestion and sometimes to eliminate the hair they ingest (especially if they have long hair). Unfortunately, many toxic plants for cats have more or less severe effects on your feline, so it is essential to identify them correctly to avoid possible poisoning.
If your feline doesn't have access to garden grass or catnip or doesn't like catnip (it happens!), this item is more than recommended, and we invite you to read it carefully!
Which houseplants are poisonous to cats?
Many plants poisonous to cats can cause serious health problems for your pet. Indeed, some are actual poisons (no wonder they were used in the 16th century to suppress a few disturbing people), and the symptoms can be violent. Find out now which indoor plants are toxic to your feline.
Aloes are succulent plants of Mediterranean origin found in our interiors (but also outside). Their sap, which is very toxic to cats, can cause tremors, irritation, convulsions, and diarrhea.
This bulbous plant, native to Central America, produces a large, beautiful flower at the end of a long stem. A decorative indoor flower, it is very toxic to cats, causing severe neurological disorders.
This plant, native to South America, with large red, white or pink flowers, is a must in our interiors. However, it is toxic by contact and ingestion, which can cause excessive salivation (hypersalivation), diarrhea, vomiting, bleeding, and breathing problems.
A corolla flower characterizes this large bulb plant from the Mediterranean basin at the end of a large stem. It is found in bouquets and pots in our interiors, but also outdoor beds. Unfortunately, the entire plant is poisonous and can cause swelling, digestive problems, and sometimes coma.
This decorative indoor plant, native to the forests and clearings of Brazil, is distinguished by its fantastic foliage, tinged with pink. Unfortunately, in contact with it, the animal can suffer from skin irritation and mucous membranes.
This very common houseplant from South Africa, also called the spider plant, has white-colored foliage hanging in long leaves ribbons. Very attractive, its leaves can make your pet want to play with them and, perhaps, chew them too. Unfortunately, this poisonous plant can cause kidney problems.
Codiaeum variegatum (croton)
This shrub, native to Malaysia, produces evergreen and variegated foliage, ideal for our interiors but, unfortunately, very toxic. The latex produced by the croton leaves can cause digestive problems, nervous disorders, and irritation to your cat.
It is one of the most poisonous and widespread houseplants. This green plant with spotted leaves native to the Amazon is toxic, including to humans. The latex in the leaves is in question. The trunk and the irrigation water can also present dangers of intoxication. The symptoms are diverse: edema, kidney problems, convulsions, digestive problems, hypersalivation, and in the most severe cases, asphyxia or risk of blindness.
Euphorbia pulcherrima, Euphorbia poinsettia, and Euphorbia marginata
We find these three plants native to America in our interiors and are more commonly called “Christmas stars” and “snow on the mountain.” They are gorgeous, yet they are toxic. They can cause digestive disorders, hypersalivation, vomiting, diarrhea, and skin, eye, and mouth disorders if the animal has chewed the leaves.
All varieties of Ficus are poisonous. This cousin of the fig tree, native to tropical areas, is now present on all continents and used as decoration in our interiors. It is viral thanks to its deep green foliage. Unfortunately, it can cause digestive disorders, irritation, kidney damage, and edema in more serious cases.
Mistletoe (Viscum album)
Originally from Europe, this plant (which lives outdoors) is common in our interiors during the holidays to decorate our tables. Certainly decorative but very dangerous. Its small balls are poisonous by the toxin they contain. The poisoning symptoms can range from simple irritations to digestive and nervous disorders. Ingestion of large amounts may be fatal.
Holly (Ilex aquifolium)
This outdoor shrub, with spiky leaves, is native to the forests of Europe and features attractive bright red balls. It is also a must in our interiors at Christmas time. But unfortunately, the leaves and berries are poisonous, causing mouth irritation, nervous disorders, and digestive problems.
This green plant, native to the tropical forests of America, is used as an ornamental plant thanks to its lush heart-shaped foliage. Dangerous by contact and ingestion, poisoning symptoms are hypersalivation, mouth irritation, and burning, facial swelling, difficulty swallowing and breathing, vomiting, and, in more severe cases, kidney damage. The false philodendron (Monstera deliciosa) is also dangerous because its leaves irritate, causing edema and skin problems.
Used as an ornamental plant, the Yucca is native to the hot regions of South America and therefore adapts perfectly to the softness of our interiors. It is characterized by a long trunk decorated with pointed leaves in a bouquet. It is a very common plant in our interiors and particularly dangerous. Its leaves can cause hypersalivation, colic, hypothermia, and in extreme cases, hindquarters paralysis and coma.